Let’s not kid ourselves, running is not the easiest activity to start these days. With busy schedules, long days and a constant struggle to get enough sleep, finding time to run is almost impossible for most people. It is helpful to take small steps and get yourself in the right mindset in order to start running more regularly.
Running can deliver enormous benefits for people who are looking to get their blood flowing, increase their heart rate and reduce stress. Running provides an outlet to challenge yourself, improve at your own pace and motivate you for future success. The beginning can be difficult, but with a few lifestyle changes and mindset hacks, you can become a runner too.
Run, jog or walk – just start
It might surprise you to hear, but walking has enormous benefits to your overall health and well-being. If running seems like an unrealistic goal, you are in luck – walking can deliver tons of benefits to your body and get you more comfortable with starting to get into an active routine. The more steps you can walk in a given day, the stronger your legs will become and your body will start to become better conditioned for more activity.
You can become naturally sluggish and slow during a normal workday if you become dehydrated. Dehydration can lead to many different health complications and cause your body to burn out quickly. A dry mouth is an early indication of dehydration, but if you don’t pick up on your early indicators you might put yourself at risk. Running while dehydrated can cause you to become lightheaded which is very dangerous while doing any physical exercise.
Make sure you drink plenty of fluids throughout your day to assure you are well-hydrated. It is recommended to drink 8 fluid ounces of water in the morning upon waking up. This helps wake up your internal organs and gets your body in motion.
If you have trouble with drinking water consistently, there are a few things you can do to trick your mind into drinking enough water for the day. You can buy a 64 ounce growler or if you want a smaller container you can choose a 32 ounce water bottle. Knowing the amount of fluid ounces your water bottle contains helps you stay fully aware of how much water you are drinking. This is a great way to stay on top of tracking how much water you are drinking and you can mark when you drink the water as well.
Track your daily progress
One fun activity to consider trying is to track your daily steps. Tracking your daily step count can deliver tons of benefits for your mental, physical and cardiovascular health. Mentally paying attention to your daily step count will motivate you to keep pushing yourself to reach new personal records along with inspire you when you are feeling sluggish or lazy on a given day.
Physically, you will start to activate your core muscle groups and ignite your metabolism to start burning more calories. Your cardiovascular health is critical for your overall well-being. This will help you take deeper breathes filled with more oxygen rushing into your veins. Although fitness trackers are not the cheapest item, they provide many benefits at affordable prices to consider purchasing one right for your lifestyle.
Recommended fitness trackers
There are many different options you can pick from when searching for a reliable fitness tracker. There are several aspects of fitness trackers’ capabilities that differentiate the choices available on the market. Here are some reviews and recommended fitness trackers that might fit your use case and lifestyle best.
Apple Watch: Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS) 44mm Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band
- One of the most powerful tools on the market to date, the Apple Watch is a computer on your wrist. As you probably know, the AppleWatch is capable of many things, but Apple Health has been one of the biggest focuses of the Palo Alto company recently.
- The Apple Watch is one of the more expensive fitness tracking device options on the market, but it also has almost unlimited capabilities with internet connectivity and bluetooth technology.
- Apple also offers a wide variety of colors to choose from including black, white, pink, gold and silver. Apple has a plethora of accessories available to mix and match to customize your watch to your own personal preference.
Apple Watches are one of the most expensive smart watches on the market, and for good reason too. The device is more powerful and better quality than any fitness tracker designed to date. The Apple Watch has changed the way people interpret daily health statistics with thousands of different app integrations available.
You can purchase this watch online or in-stores, retail price starting at $499. There are affordable financing options available for the Apple Watch to give you the ability to pay for the device of several months to avoid paying such a big lump sum at one time. Be sure to have your credit score in good condition before applying for financing so you can secure favorable rates.
Garmin Watches: Garmin – vívoactive 4S Smartwatch 40mm Fiber-Reinforced Polymer
- Garmin first started in the technology space specifically targeting GPS location devices for drivers and hikers. Their devices were extremely popular, competing with TomTom for the lions share of the GPS market. Garmin was able to leverage their GPS services and pivot their business focus into the personal health and fitness sector.
- Garmin has one of the easiest watches available to track many different types of fitness activities. You have the ability to track runs, walks, cardio activity and you can also track your personal records for each activity. The Garmin Forerunner 35 is a viable option as a fitness tracking watch to start out.
- The more advanced watch Garmin offers is the Garmin Vívoactive 3. The Garmin Vívoactive 3 is a GPS Smartwatch with over 15 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, swimming and more. The device includes a contactless payment solution to enable pay-on-the-go capabilities with battery life lasting up to 7 days in smartwatch mode; 13 hours in GPS mode.
- Garmin also gives you the ability to personalize your watch with thousands of free watch faces, apps and widgets from their Connect IQ store
Samsung fitness tracker: Samsung – Galaxy Watch Active2 Smartwatch 40mm Stainless Steel LTE
- Samsung introduced their own versions of smart watches and fitness trackers to compete in the lucrative market. Samsung created more of a fashion-driven timepiece which is not for everybody. Those who do prefer Samsung products have happily welcomed the new device to their possession.
- The Samsung Galaxy Watch Active – 40mm, Wireless Charging, SM-R500N International Version is the most popular Samsun fitness smart watch. It automatically detects exercises, monitors stress and sleep, and is IP68 Water Resistant. The device syncs with your phone and Galaxy Buds. Built to military standards, water and dust resistant, the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active smart watch is compatible with Android and iOS. Samsung Pay NFC compatibility as well.
Samsung smart watches are on the expensive site with many different features similar to the Apple Watch. There are financing options for Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 Smartwatch as long as your credit score is in good standing. You can lease your Samsung Galaxy Watch for several months to spread out your payments for the device, rather than pay for it all at once.
- FitBit was one of the first fitness tracker innovators who made tracking your steps fun. Their lightweight wristbands are waterproof and interchangeable.
- FitBit is more affordable with many different options available to choose from. FitBit offers cheaper options with less capabilities but still provides runners full control over step counts, calories and heart rate as well.
Don’t hesitate with excuses
Any time you might think it might be a good idea to stand-up to get moving, it is probably a good idea. There are many situations where you might second-guess yourself or hesitate when you start thinking about going for a run. Do I really want to start sweating right now? Do I have enough energy to run right now? Is it too cold out to run?
The list of excuses is endless.
The best strategy to overcome this mental obstacle is to always answer in favor of the healthier decision in choosing to get active. Instead of wasting your time deciding whether or not you want to do the activity of running, ignore yourself and just go do it! There is no reason to second guess your proactive behavior.
The best part about your journey towards a running lifestyle is that you can challenge yourself and go at your own pace. Whether you are just starting to run or are a seasoned marathon runner, you are not racing with anyone but yourself. There is no need to compare yourself with other runners in the park or look at the treadmill next to you in the gym while you’re getting your steps in. You are there, you are present and you are putting in your hard work.
Challenge yourself every time you lace up so you can keep leveling up and improving yourself. Your legs will get tired, but your legs will get stronger. While you think you are running slow and like a slug, you are actually conditioning your body for more. Keep pushing yourself forward and be proud each day you complete your workout.
Share your progress
As you continue to build on your running abilities, increase your running distances or improve your mileage times, you will start earning the respect of others. Everybody wants to run, but not many people actually will put in the hard work. It will take time and focus over a long period of time, but you will thank yourself once you look back on how far you have come.
Your family, friends and co-workers will not only be proud of you for your progress, they will get the running bug and want to start their running journey as well. Share your success stories, any tips or recommendations for new runners just getting started!
Want to achieve financial freedom? Take the necessary steps to get started.
Are you looking for a loan but have bad credit? You’re in luck, there are still options available for you.
Are you looking for auto insurance quotes? Make sure you evaluate your options thoroughly.