Personal Finance

Claim Money Owed to You – Learn How to Find Unclaimed Money

Millions of American's have money owed to them by the US government, past employers or insurance providers. Claim money owed to you for free.

Claim money or assets owed to you

How do you claim money owed to you? It’s a common question that can help add extra cash into your pocket. Finding unclaimed money is a nice boost to your finances.

If a business or government office owe you money that has not been collected, it is considered unclaimed money. Although there is not a standard Federal Government search website, there are resources available that will help you claim your unclaimed money. Depending on the state that your unclaimed money is located, you can find your unclaimed money yourself.

Search unclaimed money in your state

Be careful about receiving calls from companies pretending to be the government. Government agencies would not call you to alert you about unclaimed funds owed to you. Instead, the state government in which you are owed money would list funds owed on their websites. Find out how to claim money in your state by checking your local state-wide website. You can gain access and search multiple states as well. Depending on where you are located, you will need to verify the funds that are owed. You can start your search with your state’s unclaimed property office.

Search for money from previous employers

You are also able to search for money owed to you from previous employers. The Department of Labor offers navigation tools to help you look up specific information that helps you locate unclaimed money owed to you. You can search the DOL database here to get started. Another helpful resource tool is the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. The PBGC database allows you to search for unclaimed pensions that may be owed to you.

Search unclaimed money owed by insurance companies

You can search databases like the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to find unclaimed money owed to you. You can search the VA Life Insurance Funds here. There are also other insurance programs like the FHA Insurance Refund. If you had an FHA-insured mortgage, you may be eligible for a refund from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. You can check your eligibility by searching the HUD database with your FHA case number.

Search for money from tax returns

There may be a chance you are eligible for money from previous tax returns. The Internal Revenue Service will not call you to tell you when you are supposed to claim money owed to you. If you are eligible for a Federal tax return, and do not file the claim, your funds will be listed as unclaimed. It is smart to check the IRS Refunds database to search for money that is owed to you because it went unclaimed or undelivered.

Every year, millions of dollars are listed as unclaimed or undelivered from the IRS tax refund department. Undelivered refunds occur often because of the natural act of moving and change of address. If you do change your residence and do not alert the IRS or USPS Mail service, then the mail will go undelivered and be returned to the IRS. If you were expecting a federal tax refund and did not receive it, check the IRS’ Where’s My Refund page.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: